A Glove of Their Own is a great story for all those who love baseball… But it goes way beyond the game of baseball. After reading this book, you will have tears in your eyes and have ideas running through your head on how to help kids that don’t have much in their lives. I know all of this because that is what happened to me when I read it!
Before I read the book to my son for the first time, I was thinking to myself, “This will probably be a good book, but there are tons of good books in the world. This one will be no different.” Was I ever wrong!
Very few things in life make me teary-eyed… For whatever reason, I was teary-eyed while I read “A Glove Of Their Own” to my son. The game of baseball means a lot to me and it is something that I will always share with my kids. The photo to the right is of me and my son, Nolan, with the book before a MN Twins game at Target Field.
I think I got teary-eyed because this book brought back great memories of my youth and playing baseball, I was able to share it with my son who is now just beginning to love the game of baseball, and I started to think about all the kids that don’t have the opportunity to play the game I love. All of these things combined just got my emotions going!
To summarize this book… It is a story about kids playing the game of baseball without much equipment or even a field to play on, but they still find ways to play. There is a person in the story who watches these kids which brings back great memories to him… I don’t want to ruin the story, but in the end, you will understand why the book is called, “A Glove Of Their Own.”
A quote on the back cover of the book says it all:
“Few things in life are ever as good as the smell of your own glove, the crack of the wood. Or being with friends at that one special spot and sharing what you have… with those who have not.”
TESTIMONIALS AND SUPPORTERS
Baseball stars and many other high profile figures are coming out to support A Glove of Their Own! All-Time Greats, current baseball stars and even stars from other sports are supporting the book and the cause behind it. Below is a list of players that support “A Glove Of Their Own”:
- Yogi Berra
- Tommy John
- Don Sutton
- Craig Biggio
- Michael Cuddyer
- Nelson Cruz
- Manager Jim Riggleman
- Many more…
QUOTES ABOUT A GLOVE OF THEIR OWN
- “A Glove of Their Own is a great story about baseball and life and how many gifts can come as surprises. People are kind and love our #1 pastime, baseball. Enjoy!”
– Craig Biggio, Professional Baseball Player
- “A Glove of Their Own is a great book for fans of all ages. It’ll take you back to the days of neighborhood games and and you’ll see why every kid should have a glove of their own…”
– Sean Casey, Professional Baseball Player
- “This story could play out at parks all over the country. It gives kids hope that someone is really looking over them and giving back to the game I love. What a story!”
– Jack Hannahan, Professional Baseball Player
- “This book is a must-read for ALL BASEBALL FANS, young and old. It’s a touching story that gets to the true meaning of giving back to such a wonderful game.”
– Robb Quinlan, Professional Baseball Player
- “Wow, what a book! It’s an inspiration for all kids and a heartwarming story for adults who remember that baseball truly is a kids game.”
– Joe Speed, VP Sterling Sports
PURCHASE THE BOOK TO SUPPORT CHEERFUL GIVERS!
My-Youth-Baseball.com has partnered with Cheerful Givers to promote this book. $3 from every book purchased from the A Glove Of Their Own web site will be donated to Cheerful Givers. Be sure to use the following code when purchasing (You can also choose, from a drop-down list, this code): CHG132
WHAT IS CHEERFUL GIVERS?
Cheerful Givers is a 501c3 nonprofit organization committed to helping children in need. They provide birthday gift bags through shelters and food shelves to disadvantaged, needy children.
In 2010, 52,227 less fortunate children were able to experience the joy of receiving a birthday gift from their parents. The challenge facing Cheerful Givers for 2011 is to provide over 60,000 less fortunate children with birthday gifts.
We provide toy-filled birthday gift bags to food shelves and shelters so that parents living in poverty can give their child a birthday gift. We believe this simple gesture boosts self-esteem, enhances self-worth, and strengthens bonds in families.
All parents living in poverty will be able to give their child a birthday gift.
Cheerful Givers Web Site
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE NOW. USE THE CODECHG132 (OR CHOOSE IT FROM THE DROP-DOWN LIST) AND $3 WILL BE DONATED TO CHEERFUL GIVERS
MESSAGE FROM BOB SALOMON
Below is a message from Bob Salomon, organizer/developer/promoter for “A Glove Of Their Own.”
I would like to offer you a heartfelt, “Welcome” to A Glove of Their Own.
My name is Bob Salomon and I have joined three talented authors and one illustrator because this book is the beginning of a movement that, as a father and a coach, I believe in. The idea for this story, born from a child’s birthday party and a desire to ensure all children have equipment and a chance to play, has gained enormous momentum and national support. I’m thrilled to share that the book is the Winner of the Benjamin Franklin Children’s Book Award, finalist for the Eric Hoffer Book Award, and Forword Magazine Book of the Year. As grateful as I am for that notoriety, it is Debbie Moldovan, Keri Conkling and Lisa Funari-Willever who first believed in the vision of this dream. They are three amazing women, each one unique in their own talents. I am fortunate to have them as colleagues and blessed to call them friends.
Together, we have been humbled and overwhelmed by the support of individuals, Fortune 500 companies, non-profit organizations, professional athletes and kids who simply dream of becoming athletes. Giving back and extending friendship is written between the lines of this story; a story of kids who play with little, worn-out equipment, without coaches or concession stands, all for the love of the game. Our goal is to raise awareness, raise funds, and motivate everyone to play the game forward. Whether you donate your old equipment, organize a community collection, or donate funds to these dedicated organizations, you will have made a difference to a child.
Thank you to our fans and supporters during this exciting time in our lives!
“Play It Forward!”
President, Danjulie Associates, LLC
PLAY THE GAME FORWARD
The creators and authors have been overwhelmed by the positive response to A Glove of Their Own’s story and they are equally inspired by the response to this movement. Their goal of raising awareness, as well as funds and equipment, is already being realized and they are just beginning. Since the release of “A Glove of Their Own”, they have received many e-mails from people who would like to help, but are not sure how. Here are some of ideas to help you join their team and… play the game forward.
- Your school can earn $3 for every book sold – Request a form from Bob Salomon via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Share the book and its message with everyone you know – By simply telling friends, family, and co-workers about the story and their mission, you become an MVP to kids who play without.
- Purchase a copy of A Glove of Their Own – A donation is made to three organizations, Good Sports, Pitch In For Baseball, and Sports Gift, so they can collect or purchase sports equipment for kids who would otherwise go without. Don’t forget to use the code CHG132 so Cheerful Givers also gets $3 donated to them!
- Donate your old sports equipment to Pitch In For Baseball, Sports Gift, or a local organization – Check out their sites and make a cash donation to Good Sports, Pitch In For Baseball, or Sports Gift.
- Organize a local sports equipment collection drive – This can be done over a short period of time or it can become an ongoing part of your school or organization’s athletic program. And just think what you can do with all of that extra space in your garage!
- Advertise A Glove of Their Own to your group’s members and community – Earn $3.00 for every copy ordered by your organization’s members. They will gladly donate $3.00/book sold to Cheerful Givers, or any other charity that you would like. It helps spread the message, raises funds for their three designated charities, and raises funds for your organization (For Cheerful Givers – Use Code CHG132 at checkout). Simply contact Bob Salomon at: AGOTOTELLUS@AOL.COM and he will give you a code to share with your group. You simply advertise A Glove of Their Own and have your members use the special code as they checkout at www.franklinmasonpress.com. A $3.00 donation is made for all books you sell directly or through the Franklin Mason Press website when the code is used at checkout. There are no fees or quotas and organizations never handle the books or need to be involved with shipping. We can even include links to your organization on our website, sharing your message with our thousands of visitors.
The team at “A Glove Of Their Own” is growing everyday and they would be honored to have you join in any of these capacities. No matter how you choose to help, whether it is by purchasing the book for your child or a child you love, telling others about it or donating your equipment, or time, you will be touching the life of a child. Read the book to a child or class and discuss ways they can make the world a little better. And most importantly, never miss an opportunity… to play the game forward.
Please download both forms below to use “A GLOVE OF THEIR OWN” as a fundraiser for your School/PTA/Organization. We give back $3.00 for every book sold:
RECENT PRESS RELEASES
A GLOVE OF THEIR OWN – FUNDRAISER FOR YOUR TEAM
#1 CHILDREN’S BASEBALL BOOK
I know I have said this before, but I have been blessed with an opportunity, via M.Y.B., to share some really quality information to youth baseball coaches, parents and players. Because of this, I feel that it is important that I only recommend things that I trust and know to people. Fundraising by selling the book, A Glove Of Their Own, is something I am very familiar with and I believe in. That is why this page is here…
I am one of the lucky ones to become part of “A Glove of Their Own” and become good friends with Bob Salomon, the man behind the scenes of this book. Bob is a great guy that truly has his heart in the right place! If you choose to use “A Glove” to raise money for your team/organization, you will be dealing with a great person that will look out for YOUR organization!
MORE INFORMATION ON “A GLOVE OF THEIR OWN.”
For more information on this award-winning book, please click here to visit my page dedicated to it. You will find much more information there, including what professional athletes endorse it and how to purchase it!
HOW THIS FUNDRAISER WORKS?
Basically, your organization will order a certain quantity of “A Glove of Their Own” books at a certain price. Then your organization is free to sell them and will make somewhere between $3 and $5 per book sold. This can be an on-going fundraiser or one that you push at certain times of the year, but EVERY time you sell one of these books, you will earn money!
A Glove of Their Own is a tear-jerker that kids love. I have also spoken with many adults, especially grandparents, that absolutely adore this book!
SPECIAL NOTE – This book goes wayyy beyond baseball fundraising! If you choose to get involved, you will be helping other kids around the country AND will be part of a “movement” that has become known as “A Glove of Their Own.” Be a part of the same team that includes guys like Yogi Berra, Michael Cuddyer, Tommy John, and many more!