Intro: 5 minutes to talk about what’s going on for the day.
Tryout drills should include:
- Playing Catch
- 90 Foot Run
- Outfield throws
- Infield Throws
- Catching pop-times
Get Our Baseball Tryout Drill Plans and Tryout Evaluation Sheets
- Warm-ups: to be done on your own (5 minutes)
- Playing Catch: to be done with a partner, get loose and ready to perform (10 minutes)
- 90 Foot Run: Everyone will run and will start at home plate take a swing and proceed to run to 1st base. 2 people will be recording times with a stopwatch and each player will have 2 opportunities to run if they wish.(8 minutes)
- Runners will be critiqued on form, break down after touching first, and speed.
- Outfield throws: Outfielders will line up in right field, and have a series of pop-ups and grounders presented to them. The objective is to field the balls correctly and have a strong throw home to the catcher. (15 minutes)
- You will be critiqued on your fielding abilities, your velocity on the ball thrown home, and accuracy.
- Infield throws: Infielders will line up at shortstop and have a series of grounders to throw across the field to the first basemen. It will be 3 regular groundballs, 1 backhand, 1 slow roller, and ending with a regular grounder for a total of 6 balls. First basemen will receive 3 grounders and throw across to third base after all the infielders have gone. (15 minutes)
- You will be critiqued on your footwork and glove abilities, your velocity on the ball across the diamond, and accuracy.
- First basement will be critiqued by their receiving ability, along with the same criteria as the regular infielders.
- Catching, pop- times: Catchers will have a player throw 5 baseballs to the catcher and then will throw to second base to another player to then find there pop time. (10 minutes)
- Catchers will be critiqued on receiving abilities, velocity across the diamond, and accuracy on the throw to 2nd base.
- Hitting: All the hitters will have a chance to hit. Each person will receive 2 rounds of 8 pitches. Catchers will go first so they can catch the Pitchers. ( 25 minutes)
- Hitters will be critiqued on their swing, power, and location where they hit the ball. They will be using wood bats to involve a higher concentration of barreling up the ball.
- Bullpens: Pitchers will have 15-20 pitches, consisting of 8-10 fastballs, 2-3 changeups, and 2-3 curveballs. Pitch counts may differ by amount of pitches a player has, and players may be asked to throw more pitches if necessary. (25 minutes)
- Pitchers will be critiqued on their velocity, mechanics, and accuracy of pitches. Looking for good composure and live arms.
More About Baseball Tryouts
Check out our new t-shirts here: Baseball Zone T-Shirts
Baseball Situations Quiz
Do you know the essentials of baseball situations with runners on and the ball put in play? Take our baseball situations quiz and test your knowledge!
More Baseball Quizzes
More quizzes here: Baseball Quizzes
Get Coach Dan’s Book With Over 200 Tips
Get Our Free Baseball Drills & Skills eBook!